With this feature, users will have a file sharing and access control experience in Teams that is similar to their experience with other Microsoft 365 apps.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 51230
- Timing: mid-August; complete mid-September
- Roll-out: tenant level
- Control type: admin control
- Action: review and assess
With this update, when users share a file from within Teams, they will have the option to create sharing links that provide access to
- people within your organization,
- people with existing access or
- specific people, including those in a 1:1 chat, group chat, or channels.
Before users share a file in a chat and channels, they will be notified if recipients don’t have permission to view the file. The user can change permissions before they share the file (if they have permission to do so).
Teams honors the sharing controls defined in SharePoint. For example, if external sharing is disabled in SharePoint, then it is disabled in Teams as well. The default file link permission in Teams will be the same that is set at Tenant level, unless it is over ridden at site level.
Review your file sharing options in the SharePoint admin portal to ensure that they align with the requirements in your tenant.