We’re changing the default tenant policy setting for Teams inline message translation.
- Timing: early August; complete mid-August
- Roll-out: tenant level
- Control type: admin control
- Action: review and assess by August 3, 2020.
If you have not previously customized the messaging policy for your tenant or assigned your users a custom messaging policy, message translation will be enabled by default.
- Users in tenants where message translation is enabled will be able to translate chat or channel messages by clicking “Translate” from the message actions menu.
- Currently, message translation is available for Teams desktop client and the Teams web app. It recently rolled out for the Teams iOS app (MC216842, May 2020).
If you have not previously customized the default messaging policy or assigned your users a custom messaging policy, message translation will be enabled by default.
- If you do not want users in your tenant to be able to access or use message translation, you must proactively set the policy to disable message translation by August 3, 2020.
- The specific setting is: TeamsMessagingPolicy.AllowUserTranslation